Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 2014 Check Up - Cancer Cat Episode 5

Neelix gained three ounces in two weeks.  His condition is stable. The tumor is not growing, but still there. He continues to take Palladia and Piroxicam, one alternating pill every day but Sunday. My husband has developed a method that usually gets him to swallow it the first time. With one, the blue pill, he has to wear chemo gloves. With the yellow pill, he does not.

I owe $1,315.25 to the Care Credit, the card I am charging my vet bills to.

According to one online chart I looked at, Neelix at 11 is equivalent to a 62-year-old human. At this point in a cat's life, every year is like approximately 10 human years, so when they tell me I am doing all this and paying all this to buy him maybe one year, it's kind of like 10 years, which is a lot. But not really.

Fetch-a-Cure was unable to do much more than cover the X-rays they required I get to submit a funding grant because I did not have a prognosis. The doctors cannot give me one because there's so little data on cat life expectation on these pills. Still, by accepting the small amount, I still have to volunteer 120 hours this year.

I have done five picking up holiday displays at vets and pet spas all over the north and west end of town. That was not difficult. I had taken the day off anyway because Chatterbox, the cat purchased to be Neelix's companion -- which did not work out -- had to have polyps removed from his ears that day.

No comments: